I love The Onion, but I think their Twitter account is way too verbose. There are two things I wish they didn't do:
- Repost articles they've already linked to
- Post an article and then post an excerpt from that story
I get it: they read in a book about social media that the kids these days have terrible attention spans and you gotta blast your shit all over their feed walls in order to get any traction. Maybe for some people this works, but for me its a pain in the ass. Then I realized that I didn't have to put up with it.
Instead, I made @feweronion -- here's how it works:
- every 10 minutes the Twitter feed for The Onion is checked
- any new posts are re-tweeted
The rules for a "new post" are:
- must be an original tweet (re-tweets are ignored)
- must not link to a story that they've already linked to
If you like The Onion but hate getting blasted in the face by their tacky posting practices, try @feweronion!!1!